If you notice that your car is experiencing issues like noises or hesitation while shifting, it could be a matter of checking your transmission fluid, which is what your transmission depends on entirely. Low fluid levels can affect the way your transmission operates, which is why it is important that you check this aspect regularly. This will help prevent disastrous consequences and the following information will guide you through the process:
- Make sure your car is on level ground and start the engine. Your engine must be running throughout the entire process, so do not turn it off until you are finished. The engine and transmission must be at normal operating temperatures.
- Work the shifter slowly through the gears while holding your foot on the brake.
- Put the shifter back into the park and set the parking brake. Once this step is done, you can carefully open your hood and find the transmission dipstick.
- Wipe the dipstick using a clean rag or paper towel and slide it back all the way down into the transmission fill tube.
- Pull the dipstick back out and check the fluid level against the markings on the end of the dipstick, which should be pinkish and almost clear. If you notice that there are particles in it or that it smells, get your mechanic to look into it further.
- If you notice that your transmission fluid is clear but does not reach the full line on the dipstick, use a funnel to pour enough transmission fluid down the dipstick tube to reach the desired line. It is very important that you don’t overfill the tube, so be careful with this step.
- Always use the fluid that is recommended by the manufacturer, as this will make a big difference. Using a different type of fluid will affect the performance of your transmission.
It is important to know that checking your transmission fluid level requires you to work under the hood of your car with your engine running. You need to be very careful throughout the entire process; otherwise, it can be very dangerous, so make sure you are aware of any moving components so that you can watch out for them. This includes fans, pulleys and fan belts, just to name a few. If this is a procedure you are uncomfortable with, you need to take your car to your mechanic or local service station so that they can complete your transmission fluid check for you.
Pro-Tech Transmissions can help with all of your transmission repair needs. If you are in the Edmonton area and have been looking for transmission assistance near me, search no further because we’ve got you covered! We also service transfer cases and more, so if you are looking for peace of mind, bring your car into our shop today!